Saturday, August 21, 2010

Do atheist and agnostic couples face pressure to get married?

just like religious couples do or not?Do atheist and agnostic couples face pressure to get married?
Yes, there are lots of reasons why couples may feel pressured to get married, that have absolutely nothing to do with religion. For example:





- People who threaten to leave if their partner won't marry them


- Unplanned pregnancy


- Pressure from friends who are married


- Pressure from family members who ';want a grandson';, or are practically on their death bed and want to see one more marriage before they die


- Marriage issues related to work or citizenship (e.g., people from two different countries are seeing each other, and one of them wants citizenship in the other person's country soon)


- Pressure from entirely low or mundane reasons (e.g. to get a ring, or to get a family inheritance, or to upstage the wife's sister who had a big wedding)





All of these things can apply to religious or non-religious couples.Do atheist and agnostic couples face pressure to get married?
Thanks for the points!

Report Abuse



Well, bear in mind that there is more than one definition of the idea of ';marriage.';





Some marry religiously. Others have a non-religious ceremony to celebrate and profess their love. Some do none of the above, and just do it in a courthouse, plain and simple.








Personally, I believe that the pressure does exist, especially if the couple chooses to have a family. Although I don't believe that sex without marriage is wrong by any means, marriage is often a sign of stability and commitment in a relationship, which can be important for a child to see -- or for others to see, depending on the couple.





Beyond that, it is a sign of stability in general. It can even reduce the chance of ';giving up'; on a marriage, so to speak.





And then there are, of course, the legal benefits. It is financially beneficial for a couple living together to file jointly, have at least one joint bank account, share a single credit card instead of having multiples, etc. In addition, if one passes away, it is easier to make a legal claim of your significant other's belongings / momentos / any children (whether they are yours or not) that the two of you cared for, etc. Without the commitment of marriage or some form of legal document, it can be difficult to establish a right to those things.











I am an agnostic atheist, and would like a wedding ceremony / reception / honeymoon; the whole works. It will be a sign of my commitment and love; the good times and bad times, and everything in between. I admit, there are days when I think I may never marry, or even that I don't want to marry, but on this particular day, I think I'd like to.
I pressured myself, if you want to call it that. I was agnostic growing up, became theist after meeting my bf (now husband, who is Christian). But I always believed in waiting until marriage before going all the way, even when I was agnostic. And since I knew I wanted kids, and you have to have sex to have kids, and I wouldn't have sex until I was married, I pressured myself to get married. I always knew I wanted to get married someday, though, so it wasn't an unwanted thing.
Of course.





Marriage is a part of our culture. There's pressure from every where to get married.





And atheists don't always come from non-religious back grounds. So they might have religious parents who pressure them to ';settle down'; and give them grandchildren.





And even at that, my parents are atheist, and they want to see me get married. They both find it important. As do I.





I just haven't found the one for me yet.
It depends on the person, and their parents of course. I haven't and won't get married. I do not need a piece of paper and a ridiculous, fancy party, to know what is in my heart. My partner and I have been together over a decade, and have four great kids, no marriage needed.
I think everyone's mom dreams of their children having a spouse, kids and nice house. Marriage doesn't have to a religious ceremony, it can simply be a celebration of unity.
As an atheist raised by atheist parents, I have never been pressured to get married, or even find a romantic partner, which so far I have not done yet.
What I want to know is why havent christians figured out a way to keep atheists from marrying.... you know... like the hooooomooosexuals.....??
Some do, some don't. Depends on whether or not their moms are dying for grandchildren.
Why would we be pressured to get married?
not me

No comments:

Post a Comment