Saturday, August 21, 2010

I didn't work in 2007, do we still file our taxes as ';joint'; or will my husband file ';married separately';?

I went to school in 2007 and did not work. Do we still file as ';married joint'; even though I didn't work or does he file as ';married separately';I didn't work in 2007, do we still file our taxes as ';joint'; or will my husband file ';married separately';?
File jointly. You will get killed filing separately. No reason to do that. If you went to school, you may be eligible for the hope credit or the lifetime learning credit. This could be a windfall for you and your husband. Don't miss out on it.I didn't work in 2007, do we still file our taxes as ';joint'; or will my husband file ';married separately';?
File a joint return, you'll pay less tax that way. Filing joint doesn't mean both people had income, you can file that way even if one person made all the income.
Joint return is likely to save a lot on the tax liability.
I am a SAHM and we always file married filing jointly. We always go to a tax prep place and that's how they do it.
You will be better filing married filing jointly so he can get the exemption of 3,400 for you.











Did you pay tuition, if yes you could be due a credit. Do you have children that went to daycare so you could go to school, if yes you can deduct the expense. These are two deductions you would also lose if you filed separately.
Run the numbers both ways and see which comes out the best for you. There's no rule about which way you have to file.





It almost always works out best for a couple to file jointly rather than separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment