Saturday, August 21, 2010

For the married ladies, what stuff did you skip and not regret doing so?

What stuff at your wedding that alot of people consider to be must-haves (or not) did you decide not to include and were glad with your choice?





On the same thread, is there anything you skipped or scrimped on that you wish you didn't?For the married ladies, what stuff did you skip and not regret doing so?
Photography is the lasting memory you have of your wedding. Make sure that you click well with the photographer and totally trust in them, cause on the day you don't have to worry that they are getting the right photos that you want.





If I had my time over I would definitely arrange for a pre-wedding shoot to test the photographer to ensure we get along with them and they get a flair of what we would like in the shots.For the married ladies, what stuff did you skip and not regret doing so?
This is such as awesome question! I was actually going to ask it in a couple of days.





Anyway, my wedding isn't until next February, but I have been doing a lot of research on this exact topic. One of the things that I have found on message boards is that people wish they would have had a videographer. I actually just watched one of my BM's wedding video and it was so sweet. I have definately decided that I'm going to spend the extra money and get a videographer and *of course* a great photographer.





I'm comtemplating Save The Dates, but after reading these posts, I think I'm going to skip them. I wanted the magnet ones but I think thats just because I like magnets! :)





I'm also skipping assigned seating and the limo, but I'm def going to do the garter/flower toss. And, I'm skipping the unity candle.





Haven't really decided on anything else, but I want our wedding to be simple and elegant. No crazy flair! (But, I am wearing orange shoes!!)
I also wished I spent more on my photographer. I also bought cheap shoes. Wish I bought nice shoes cause the pictures could have been very cute, plus your feet can hurt. I also got few flowers and glad I did that. Flower die and the only flowers that anyone notice was my bouquet. I would suggest going minimum on boys flowers and no display flowers. We went to costco and got a 2 dozen roses for $40 and used 1 dozen for the flower girl pedals and 1 dozen we separated into three and tired a ribbon around it that matched my colors and my JR. Bridesmaids used that. Also I did not spend alot of money on my cake. Cake is cake! Yes they can look pretty, but noby remembers your cake.
assigned seating! I was so glad that I did not do that. I know a lot of people think that you have to have assigned seating at a wedding, but I definitely did not like the idea of figuring out who would like to sit with who. I decided that everyone can fend for themselves. I actually had a lot of people thank me for that...they felt like they could sit where and with whom they wanted.
My wedding is on April 17th, so I probably won't know for sure until then. But I could definitely tell you what we saved on: we decided to eliminate programs, which is more time consuming than anything else (if someone doesn't know that the vows go AFTER walking down the aisle, that's their problem...lol) Also, the stupid cameras on each table (seriously, we're paying $2,700 for a pro, I don't need a bunch of amateur shots).





Everyone says save on save the dates but ours are customized large magnets with our picture on them and only cost us $30 for 25 pieces (we didn't send them to everyone, just our closest family and friends). We wound up saving A LOT on wedding rings because we shopped the after New Year's sales in New Hampshire (my parents live here) where there is no tax. Also, we shopped around a lot online for miscellaneous items and bridesmaid/groomsmen/parent gifts, so that saved a bundle too.





As far as must haves, the honeymoon is super important because it's not just for 1 day and extends our special celebration. We totally splurged on that. Also, photography, FOOD and drinks (super important, we're splurging on top-shelf open bar and seafood) as well as decor (flowers mostly). Everything else is easy to save on, you just have to know where to look.





Great question! =)
tons of people. I was happy with the 6 people that I had. I also didn't have a huge tiered cake. I had a one layer cake. It was beautiful, small, I designed it myself, and best of all the best cake I'd ever tasted in my life.





I didn't walk up an aisle, I got married at the courthouse, and I really wanted that.
We are skipping save the date cards and RSVP cards. No one RSVP's in Utah, even if you provide an email address. So sending a card back in the mail? Yeah right.


I'm not making my bridesmaids get the same dress, they can choose one in one of 4 colors. That will help them out. My sister found one for $25.


I'm not getting a veil. I think its uneccessary and annoying. Plus that's a $100 I can keep.


We are not scrimping on the keepsakes however: dress, photos and rings.


We found the cheapest location and are getting the cheapest buffet option. Its still a nice buffet, but we didn't think spending $8-80 a person was A)within our budget B)Necessary. Our day, not theirs, why should we feed them a fancy sit down dinner?
we skipped the bouquet/garter toss. Instead we had all the married couple come out to the floor and dance while the band started dismissing couples by the years they've been married. The couple who were married the longest won my bouquet along with a bottle of wine we prepared. I still think it was a good choice
a good photographer. that is the only thing i consider to be a must-have! but in all honesty my mum's old saying still holds true:


all you really need is the bride, the groom, a couple of rings and a preacher - everything else is just stuff!
My mother in-law was upset, she did not wanted me to wed her son. She was not invited....I had a blast. Ive been happily married to my hysband for 15 years, have 3 beautiful children, and my mother in law still does not like me. Just because I was married before.
We didn't have a limo, we made our own wedding invites, we kept our bridal party small, we didn't do the bouquet toss or the garter thing.
We skipped save the dates. Unnecessary, IMO.





I wish I had been able to spend more on flowers. I also wish I had done a bit more shopping before I bought my dress.
I skipped the whole throwing bouquet/garter ceremony.....and i was happy! I never liked having to catch the bouquet, all my friends groan when this comes up!
making sure yr photographer knows what hes doing . im a photographer and hired another one my pics look graing there is not one pic that i can enlarge crummy job. take pics of all your guest
Limo. I dont see what the big deal is with limos.

No comments:

Post a Comment